Thursday, May 13, 2010

Un f*@&ing believable

This morning we woke up ready to face the day, happy and settling in. That has all come to an end.

As you know, I've been unhappy with our flat - the trouble moving in: no electricity, no heat or hot water, and then the smell, the psychotic washing machine, the ridiculous oven and the size - oh so small. Well, it's all over.

At 9:30am as we were dressing the kids to go out for the day - a locksmith turned up on our front doorstep. He was just waiting for the bailiff - the owner of our flat is in arrears with his mortgage and the place is being repossessed! They were changing the locks and chucking us into the street. They haven't - we have two weeks to pack up and move.

Infuriated I called the owner (went to voicemail - no surprise there) and the letting agent. I let them have it. We're out our deposit and our months rent. Now we have to transfer more money over from the US to afford a new move, pay for it and then try to get our money back from the crooked bastard who has ripped us off. I called our attorney (yes, we have one here already!) and she is sorting us out.

I feel sorry for Cate - she was just settling into her new life and FINALLY becoming happy and jolly again. Now we have to move her once again to another flat - God only knows where. I also feel sorry for our wallets - this is an expense we simply don't need. We're just lucky we can pay it - thank God I'm a miser and we've been frugal in our expenses while here.

On the bright side - hopefully I'll like our new place.

But... in case you're just tuning in for the first time, or if you've forgotten - we have LOADS of stuff to pack and move. Jaysus - I could just die!

12 comments:

  1. OMG Cross the Pond I am so sorry, if you need to talk to anyone to vent please get in touch with me I cant do anything to help but I can listen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my God!!!! This is bloody awful!!! I am going to message you properly in a minute but couldn't read this and disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Cow! Poor you. I'll keep fingers crossed for you. The UK isn't usually THIS bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! What a nightmare! I'm so sorry. How awful. I hope everything gets sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my GOD what a mess I am so sorry! Wish I could do something to help - I'll definitely send good vibes your way, though I think that what you need more is a good voodoo doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm usually a lurker, but this really blows. It's hard to imagine, but I'm sure this is a blessing in disguise and you'll be happier in a nicer new place. There's already been so many issues in this place....I hope you get every cent back from the a-hole landlord.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this has happened to you. Hoping there is a silver lining and lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is really bad luck. How awful for you. I hope you can find something much better and a much more reliable landlord. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is terrible. I hope at least you end up in a nicer place. What a nightmare

    ReplyDelete
  10. How awful, I'm so sorry! I'm sure it will work out in the end and you get a much better place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awful! And they're only giving you 2 weeks? How about tenant protection? It's not your fault and you should at the very least have a month (although I find that short too).

    Really hope you'll find a lovely place where you can feel at home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have had much of this nonsense ourselves, UK ugh bits!this is from meballet on twitter!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, make my day!